STUDIO GROUPS (Members Only)
Artists throughout the ages have joined together to learn to learn from each other through the friendly exchange of expertise, information, informed critiques and simply seeing how others “do it”. Blackheath Art Society is continuing this very useful creative tradition and practice. The use of the studio for painting, drawing, printing and other approved uses is for members only via key-code access. The studio has easels and work tables but artists will need to bring their own special equipment and materials. There is no tuition in the groups. The studio has tea and coffee making facilities and supplies. The studio fee of $5 is payable on arrival. Opening times may vary so new members and the space may sometimes be unavailable due to workshops or other activities – please contact the coordinator to check
STUDIO GROUPS RESUME – COVID19 PROTOCOLS:
All attendees must:
1. Sanitise their hands on entry, preferably with soap (it is more effective).
2. Write your name and correct phone number in the Registration Book on entry. Also you must certify you agree with the conditions – that in the last 14 days you have had no symptoms, no positive COVID19 test, no travel from afar, no contact with COVID19 nfected persons and are otherwise healthy.
3. Observe the 4 sq m bubble and 1.5 metre physical distance from other people.
4. One person per table and /or easel.
5. Disinfect hard surfaces before and after use.
6. Payment as usual; bring correct change to limit handling
6. BYO everything: food, drink, cups, plates, cutlery, hot water /drinks; the kitchen will be locked. Bring nothing foul and leave nothing foul behind.
Convenors will ensure that:
1. Maximum number in studio to be limited to 8 artists plus a tutor and a model if required. If no tutor or model, limit is still 8.
2. The model’s sheets will be laundered after each session
We can have 8 artists plus a model per session. We have to have at least 4 artists per session to cover the cost of the model.
“We are running 2 Life Drawing sessions:
- Monday mornings 10am to 12 noon. With tutoring by Ward for June and Dianna thereafter.
- Monday afternoons 1pm to 3pm Without tutoring.
To book, ring DIANNA DWYER on THURSDAYS at 2pm (02 4758 9897).
- If you book, Please attend.
- You can book for both but, if you do, you must attend both.”
$20 per session. Cost for tutored session is the same as tutors have generously offered to do it gratis.
(includes studio fee)
see also LIFE PAINTING below.
MONDAY 10am – 12pm
MONDAY 1pm – 3pm
We have excellent models and poses are arranged for 2-minute and 5-minute sketches and then for a combination of 10, 15 and 20 minute poses.
CONTACT: LIBBY SAYERS
Phone: 4757 3415
$5.00 per session
TUESDAY 10am – 3pm
An interesting variety of work is produced by artists of varying levels of ability, all of whom are keen to explore the endless possibilities of this medium.
Like all groups, it is friendly and helpful, with members benefiting from interaction with others and from constructive discussions of problems.
CONVENOR: Phil Went
Phone 0400 609 368
Cost: $350 for 10 weeks
$40 for casual places if available.
Places strictly limited so book asap to reserve your place
WEDNESDAYS 9am -12 noon for 10 weeks commencing 29th July (not September 30th).
A great way to improve your allaprima and quick studies is to take the time to develop enhanced skills by working with longer poses from life in natural light, as done by Ateliers overseas.
This life study will be a fixed pose for ten weeks of three hours each week. It is a rare opportunity to do this type of extended academic study from life. Artist positions and the pose will be set in the first week and will be fixed for the full ten weeks. This allows artists time to push their skills and to develop a highly academic drawing or painting.
Phone: 0418 633 923
Phone: 0428 525 248
$8.00 per session
WEDNESDAY 3pm – 6pm
Please bring along any tools you have, and if you have a project you want to start or continue, you’re welcome to bring that also.
Wear old clothes or bring an apron, and wear covered shoes. We will have some equipment and clay to play with if you don’t have any of your own. The fee is the usual studio fee of $5, if you would like to buy some clay it will only be a few dollars (depending on how much you use). If you missed out on the workshop and would like to know some basics, I will be able to give you some instruction to get you started. I look forward to seeing you! Jo Chipperfield
LIFE PAINTING (OILS)
Contact: Robert Malherbe 0432 982815
$30 per session (includes studio and model fee).
THURSDAYS 11.30am to 2.30pm
Please contact Robert to join this group. There is no casual access at this time. Please check with Robert as it is not always on every week.
CONTACT: ADELE BRUENS
Mobile: 0402 808 636
$5 per session
FRIDAYS from 10am – 2pm
The studio has a dedicated print room with a small press suitable for both intaglio and relief printing and is equipped with glass plates for mixing and rolling ink and troughs for soaking paper prior to printing. Printmakers tend to prepare their plates at home and to use the studio primarily for printing editions but you may choose to do otherwise. As with all the groups there is the opportunity to exchange information about techniques when working together in the studio.